[GTER] #JumboFrameNoIX.BR #BlackHoleNoIX.BR

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 22:51:25 -03 2020

Hello Job!

I Agree with you on several points that you brought:
 - FIB Exhaustion could kill participant routers
 - No correct treatment to Blackhole Prefixes could generate an even
worst effect than removing announces to IXP.
But I believe that with some extra effort, could be possible to mitigate
those downsides.

I have two lines of arguments for you. So I will Split it...

The 1st is corroborative
------------------------

OK, L3 filtering is the right way to deploy Blackhole on IXPs! But(there is
always a but)
The most feasible way to deploy L3 filtering on Fabric is based on FlowSpec.
And... Switchs with support for FlowSpec are very expensive!

Considering that, on a brainstorm with a friend, we talked about a crazy
idea to deploy Dynamic L3 Filtering on Switchs without Flowspec.

Maybe reinventing the wheel, but in a crude way the idea would be:

 a - ExaBGP as a peer of route-servers, receiving the blackhole prefixes.
     On every change on those prefixes export then to txt.
 b - Aggregate that txt with the prefixes to be blackholed
 c - Convert those aggregated prefixes to a yang access-list format
 d- Ansible(or equivalent) push that yang ACL via netconf/ssh to
the Switchs of IXP.

Off course this is an alpha idea, and must consider a lot of other
limitations:
- ACL-L3 Limits of L2 devices of the fabric.
  What would implicate on:
   - Max Blackhole prefix by participant.
   - Methodology to define what prefixes will not be filtered case the ACL
limit get exceeded.

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação