[GTER] #JumboFrameNoIX.BR #BlackHoleNoIX.BR

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Tue Aug 11 12:11:19 -03 2020

Dear Rubens,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:51:23AM -0300, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> The L2 solution can be made not to be dependent on member
> configuration. The IX can have an ARP responder for the blackholed IP
> that answers with a specific MAC address, and the IX matrix can drop
> all traffic destined to that MAC address. So if a member null routes
> the blackhole IP address, great; the member saves bandwidth in its
> connection to the IX. But if not, the ingress filter in the IX drops
> it and the traffic doesn't traverse the IX matrix.

This still requires all participants to accept the blackhole hostroutes
to begin with (open up filters to /32 + /128, disable RPKI), and accept
the discard NEXT_HOP (which is not the same as the BGP speaker) which
has a special MAC address on the platform.

Special configuration that goes against all current BCPs is required
regardless of the ARP responder. Whether an IXP uses an ARP responder
with a special IP address (or not) does not change the fundamental flaws
of the approach.

I repeat my recommendation: please work to invest in an actual solution
that benefits all participants. L3 ACLS (optionally combined with L2)
deployed on the participant ports or somewhere in the IX fabric is a
better solution. An example of a L3-based in-fabric IXP blackholing
solution was deployed at https://unitedix.net/tech/ - this is not new.

Redistribution the blackhole routes via a route server to all route
server participants is a 'marketing' solution, it looks interesting on
paper but is unsafe and ineffective in practise.

Kind regards,

Job

ps. The 'solution' via route servers can easily be replicated via
bilateral direct peering sessions across the fabric. How many people
have actually worked together to allow each other to perform blackholing
inside each others network? Would you feel comfortable getting a BGP
session from a random ASN with potentially random blackhole requests and
blindly automatically honor those requests? I wouldn't. I would not
recommend this to anyone.