[GTER] BCP38 deployment in Brazil

Humberto Galiza humbertogaliza at gmail.com
Tue May 14 09:39:48 -03 2019

Hello Matthew,

Perhaps a valid argument is: given the proliferation of (D)DoS attacks
targetting small/medium Brazilian service providers (the vast
majority) they somehow realized they need to deploy 'something' to
avoid being the next day victim's :-)

Talking seriously now, I believe the main driver for BCP38 adoption in
Brazil were the reinforcements in initiatives of education/knowledge
sharing.

I'm pretty sure there are (excellent) key ideas going on now in the
country, but among them, I couldn't fail to mention the creation of
Brasil Peering Forum (BPF) group last year. Since its beginning, BPF
has been actively working/producing PT-BR content. The ultimate goal
is to spread out the best practices to Brazilian network operators
(including obviously the MANRS and BCP38 adoption/deployment).

Besides trying to put some 'shred of light' in more advanced topics in
the networking area (routing, TE, etc.) the group published in a Wiki
[1] a set of BCPs mainly targeting small network operators (small ==
there are currently around 4500-5000+ active BR ASNs injecting 1-20
prefixes in the global BGP table). Perhaps here is key group
contribution to make the Internet a better place ;-)

Cheers,

[1] - https://wiki.brasilpeeringforum.org/w/Conteudos_Uteis#BCOPs

Humberto Galiza