[GTER] iSCSI e NAS

Gustavo Figueira guxtavo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 12:54:14 -02 2006

iscsi é uma forma de vc usar discos de uma máquina em outra através de uma
rede.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iscsi

nfs e smb (nas) é uma forma de vc acessar arquivos de uma máquina através da
rede,

Imagina se seis máquinas estiverem com o mesmo disco montado. Só vejo essa
possibilidade montando o fs em ro.

Acho que essa explicação do wikipedia vai te ajudar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iscsi

In the context of computer
storage<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_storage>,
iSCSI allows a machine to use an iSCSI
initiator<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_initiator>to connect to
remote
targets <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_target> such as
disks<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk>and tape
drives <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_drive> on an IP network for block
level I/O <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_storage>. From the point of
view of the class drivers and application software, the devices appear as
locally attached SCSI devices. More complex environments consisting of
multiple hosts and/or devices are called Storage Area Networks
(SAN)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_area_network>
.

iSCSI devices should not be confused with Network-Attached Storage
(NAS)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage>devices
which include server software to handle the arbitration of
simultaneous access requests from different hosts. Allowing multiple hosts
to have simultaneous access to a single device is a difficult task common to
all SCSI devices. Without host-to-host communication, each host is unaware
of the state and intentions of the other hosts. This condition leads to data
corruption and race conditions. In the realm of disk storage, cluster
software <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cluster> solves this issue.

Ats,

Gustavo