[GTER] Yahoo Instant Messenger YAUTO.DLL buffer overflow

Fabiano fabiano.br at uol.com.br
Thu Dec 4 20:56:19 -02 2003

FYI,

----------

http://idgnow.terra.com.br/idgnow/internet/2003/12/0014

  Yahoo Instant Messenger YAUTO.DLL buffer overflow

  PROGRAM: Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM)
  HOMEPAGE: http://messenger.yahoo.com
  VULNERABLE VERSIONS: 5.6.0.1347 and below

  DESCRIPTION

  YIM is one of the most popular instant messenger. This is a cool product,
  that allows me to chat with my gf from a very long distant :-).

  DETAILS

  YAUTO.DLL is an ActiveX/COM component that comes with Yahoo
  Install Messenger. YAUTO.DLL is registered under a ProgID called
  "YAuto.NSAuto.1". In this component, there is a function named
  Open(String Url) that will cause a buffer overflow if argument Url is
  passed
  with
  a long string. Since this is an ActiveX component, the vulnerability can
  be exploited just by making a website with the correct CLSID of
  the ActiveX and call the function directly. We have successfully exploited
  the vulnerability by making a website that can download a trojan and
  execute it silently.

  WORKAROUND

  Yahoo has been contacted at enterprisesales at yahoo-inc.com (this
  is the only email that I can find on the Yahoo Messenger Site) but
  doesn't response after 1 month. The workaround solution is deleting
  the YAUTO.DLL file in your YIM directory.

  CREDITS

  Discovered by Tri Huynh from SentryUnion

  DISLAIMER

  The information within this paper may change without notice. Use of
  this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition.
  There are NO warranties with regard to this information. In no event
  shall the author be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of
  or in connection with the use or spread of this information. Any use
  of this information is at the user's own risk.

  FEEDBACK

  Please send suggestions, updates, and comments to: trihuynh at zeeup.com