[MASOCH-L] Recomendações sobre o VMWare ESXi

Giovane Heleno webgeo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 14:37:27 BRT 2010

O ESXi é para servidores de produção. Preconceito contra ser grátis?
Para servidores de testes/lab, existe a versão Server e a Workstation.

Palavras da VMWare...
http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/

*VMware ESXi has been optimized and tested to run even your most resource
intensive applications and databases with minimal performance overhead. With
VMware ESXi you can:*

   - *Run multiple operating
systems<http://www.vmware.com/solutions/consolidation/>on a single
server and reduce
   hardware costs <http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/cost-savings/>*
   - *Run a greener datacenter and reduce your energy
cost<http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/green-it/>
   *
   - *Enable easier back-ups and
restores<http://www.vmware.com/solutions/business-continuity/dataprotection.html>for
your applications
   *
   - *Run the most resource intensive
applications<http://www.vmware.com/solutions/business-critical-apps/>in
production
   *

O ESXi é o mesmo ESX, mas com algumas limitações.

*What is the difference between VMware ESX and VMware ESXi?*

*VMware ESX and VMware ESXi are both bare-metal hypervisors that install
directly on the server hardware. Both provide industry-leading performance
and scalability; the difference resides in the architecture and the
operational management of VMware ESXi. Although neither hypervisor relies on
an OS for resource management, VMware ESX relies on a Linux operating
system, called the service console, to perform two management functions:
executing scripts and installing third party agents for hardware monitoring,
backup or systems management. The service console has been removed from
ESXi, drastically reducing the hypervisor footprint and completing the
ongoing trend of migrating management functionality from the local command
line interface to remote management tools. The smaller code base of ESXi
represents a smaller “attack surface” and less code to patch, improving
reliability and security. The functionally of the service console is
replaced by remote command line interfaces and adherence to system
management standards. *

*View a detailed comparison of VMware ESX and VMware ESXi
management<http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006543>
.*

Antes de instalar, veja a lista de hardware compatíveis, senão, terá
dificuldades em instalar.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=base&deviceCategory=server

*Giovane Heleno*
www.giovane.pro.br