[GTER] [lacnog] RFC 8327 / BCP: 214 - Mitigating the Negative Impact of Maintenance through BGP Session Culling

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Fri Mar 9 16:57:11 -03 2018

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 20:43, Job Snijders <job at ntt.net> wrote:

> This procedure has been used at LONAP and other IXPs with great success.
> I’m keeping track of IXPs that implemented the procedure here:
> http://peering.exposed/
>
> Will Hargrave from LONAP
> gave a 10 minute presentation at the UKNOF 37 meeting on this topic:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cpa4HEaKQ
>
> NTT / AS2814 is also compliant of course :-)

Oops, i meant 2914.

To elaborate:

The NTT Global IP Network is compliant specifically with section 3.1
“voluntary BGP session teardown recommendations”

Before NTT GIN commences activities that can cause disruption to flow of
data through Internet circuits, NTT GIN will reduce loss of traffic by
issuing an administrative shutdown to all BGP sessions running across the
circuit and wait a few minutes for data-plane traffic to subside.

While architectures exist to facilitate quick network reconvergence (such
as BGP Prefix Independent Convergence (BGP PIC)
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-06, NTT GIN cannot
assume the remote side has such capabilities. As such, a grace period
between the Administrative Shutdown and the impacting maintenance
activities is warranted.

After the maintenance activities have concluded, NTT will restore the BGP
sessions to their original Administrative state.

I hope every network implements similar procedures. This will greatly
reduce packetloss / blackholing of traffic due to maintenance activities!

Kind regards,

Job