[GTER] NTT / AS2914 now automatically uses REGISTROBR routing data as IRR

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Thu Jul 19 18:32:55 -03 2018

Dear GTER,

Registro.BR into the IRR system, this should save the Brazil community
time and effort while improving routing security at the same time. ]

As you all know, NIC.BR is a National Internet Registry (NIR) under the
umbrella of LACNIC (one of the 5 global RIRs). NIC.BR administrates all
IPv4, IPv6 and ASNs in Brazil and maintains a WHOIS registry which
contains routing information similar to what how ARIN-WHOIS works. The
Registro.BR WHOIS database contains a wealth of routing data.

NTT / AS2914 now has an automated process that runs every day at 00:10
UTC which fetches the full NIC.BR database and converts it to IRR
format. The database is fetched from the recently created database
dump at ftp://ftp.registro.br/pub/numeracao/origin/nicbr-asn-blk-latest.txt

The data can be inspected via the below whois command against
rr.ntt.net, the output shows that a route-object exists in RADB (which
is an IRR), and it shows a route-object with "source: REGISTROBR", this
in fact is a representation of what exists in registro.br. The URL
https://registro.br/2/whois?qr=200.160.0.0/20 can be clicked to view the
original information.

    job at eng0 ~$ whois -h rr.ntt.net 200.160.4.6
    [Querying rr.ntt.net]
    [rr.ntt.net]
    route:      200.160.0.0/20
    descr:      Registro.BR Network
    origin:     AS22548
    notify:     noc at registro.br
    mnt-by:     MAINT-AS22548
    changed:    noc at registro.br 20030828
    changed:    noc at registro.br 20111226
    source:     RADB

    route:      200.160.0.0/20
    descr:      Nucleo de Inf. e Coord. do Ponto BR - NIC.BR
    remarks:    registro.br ownerid: 05.506.560/0001-36
    remarks:    This route object represents routing data retrieved from Registro.BR
    remarks:    The original data can be found here: https://registro.br/2/whois?qr=200.160.0.0/20
    remarks:    This route object is the result of an automated WHOIS-to-IRR conversion process.
    origin:     AS22548
    mnt-by:     MAINT-JOB
    changed:    job at ntt.net 20180719
    source:     REGISTROBR
    job at eng0 ~$

The above shows that whenever a change is made in the Registro.BR WHOIS
database, the change will be reflected in the IRR instance at rr.ntt.net
and no IRR route-objects need to explicitly be created.

We hope that this step increases routing security in Brazil and would
like to encourage our competitors and partners to also consider
programmatic use of the REGISTROBR database file.

I'm happy to take any questions anyone may have!

Kind regards,

Job Snijders