[GTER] Fwd: PCH survey on peering

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:26:21 -03 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net>
Date: Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 5:04 AM
Subject: PCH survey on peering
To: NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>

Howdy.

We're conducting a statistical overview of peering sessions for a
research paper.  The paper we produce will be input into OECD
guidelines on national communications regulatory frameworks, so we'd
very much like it to accurately reflect the diversity of peering
agreements out there in the world.  At the same time, if we ask for
too much data, people will be reluctant to answer our questions, so
we've tried to keep the data we're collecting as simple as possible.

Specifically, for each other Autonomous System you peer with, we'd be
interested in knowing the following five pieces of information:

   Your ASN
   Your peer's ASN
   Whether a written and signed peering agreement exists (the
alternative being that it's less formal, like a "handshake agreement")
   Whether the terms are roughly symmetric (the alternative being that
it describes an agreement with different terms for each of the two
parties, like one paying the other, or one receiving more or fewer
than full customer routes)
   If a jurisdiction of governing law is defined

The easiest way for us to take the information is as a tab-text file
or spreadsheet, consisting of rows as follows:

   Your ASN: Integer
   Peer ASN: Integer
   Written agreement: Boolean
   Symmetric: Boolean
   Governing Law: ISO 3166 two-digit country-code, or empty

For instance:

The ASNs are just there so we can avoid double-counting a single pair
of peers, when we hear from both of them.  As soon as we've collated
the data, we'll strip the ASNs to protect privacy, and only the final
aggregate statistics will be published in any case.  We've currently
got about 10,000 sessions documented, and would love to have as many
more as possible.  We'd like to finish collecting data by the end of
the second week of April, two weeks from now.

If you're able to help us, please email me the data in whatever form
you can.  If you need a non-disclosure, we're happy to sign one.

Thanks for considering this,

                               -Bill Woodcock
                                Research Director
                                Packet Clearing House