[GTER] ‘Rough Consensus and Running Code’ and the Internet-OSI Standards War

Eduardo Ascenço Reis eduardo at intron.com.br
Thu Sep 3 12:38:50 -03 2009

‘Rough Consensus and Running Code’ and the Internet-OSI Standards War

Andrew L. Russell
The Johns Hopkins University

Internet historians recognize the technical achievements but often
overlook the bureaucratic innovations of Internet pioneers. The
phrase, “We reject: kings, presidents, and voting. We believe in:
rough consensus and running code,” was coined by David Clark in
1992. This article explains how the phrase captured the technical and
political values of Internet engineers during a crucial phase in the
Internet’s growth.

http://www.computer.org/portal/cms_docs_annals/annals/content/promo2.pdf

--

Eduardo Ascenço Reis