[caiu] RES: RES: Internacional Down Seabone RJ

Eduardo Parajo eduardo.parajo em yahoo.com.br
Qui Set 21 12:56:19 BRT 2017

para conhecimento…

Dear Customer,

We must inform you that hurricane Maria (category 5) has impacted Puerto Rico causing severe damages and flood in the island.
We had to de-energize our nodes in the Station to avoid serious damage to the equipment.
This situation causes saturation within our IP Traffic that affects international stream towards Brazil.

Unfortunately the water level outside the Landing Station in Puerto Rico is still very high and we cannot start the generators.
We are trying to reroute some capacity through the St. Croix node, but technicians, due to the Hurricane damage  cannot reach/access the LS.
We are evaluating other solutions of restorations on non-proprietary networks.
There is no known history of such an event or high water level in Puerto Rico so we cannot make prediction on how fast the water level will lower.

Puerto Rico and St. Croix have been hit severely by the hurricane, now we have all three Landing Stations  in the Caribbean (Tortola, St. Croix and Puerto .Rico) where the Submarines cables run through running on generators.
Water level outside the Landing Stations is so high that  personnel might be forced to shut down the Generators to avoid the risk of electrocution.
As you understand the Landing Stations are far away one from the other, but the sum of two hurricanes generated unpredictable effects.
Our network team are working in order to mitigate the effect of equipment that suffered power instability.
We will provide updates as soon as they become available.