[caiu] Akamai - CDN

Filho Arrais arraisfilho em gmail.com
Qua Maio 31 13:27:02 BRT 2017

Após desligar os servidores, consegui retorno da Akamai. Um dos meus
questionamentos (baixo desempenho) foi respondido, caso alguém tenha a
mesma dúvida, acredito que a leitura será válida.

We "map" (direct traffic to) end users based on the DNS they use, not their
IP address.

We group a few (usually around 3-5) DNS's together - users using those DNS
will all be mapped identically.

Mapping decisions are not based solely on latency but for some sets of
sites it can play more of a role. This makes a good ping point more
important so that real performance is measureWe group similar sets of
websites (subdomains) together. These sets can be mapped to different
clusters.

ex: look ups from a particular DNS to 'social networking sites' may be
mapped to a different cluster than 'small download sites'

For each group of DNS our system tries to pick a globally pingable address
that is close to the end users who use those DNS. We call it a "ping point"

Akamai clusters periodically ping the chosen ping point.

The latency influences where each set of DNS are mapped accurately.

ex: If the ping point is outside of the on-net network the latency might
look like this: (where peering clusters might look to have better
performance)

   - on-net 50 ms (ping from on-net cluster to ping point)
   - peering 45 ms (ping from peering cluster to ping point)
   - transit 60 ms (ping from a transit network to ping point)

This makes our system think that there's better performance to the on-net
users from peering clusters, which is not accurate. It can result in some
sets of sites which are more sensitive to performance to be served through
peering clusters instead of the on-net cluster that actually has better
performance.​

*--*

*Filho Arrais  *

Analista de Tecnologia da Informação

MBA em Gestão de Tecnologia da Informação

+55 63 99211-9260